Wednesday, September 2, 2009

30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know

1. The illness I live with is: MS, CFS

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2000

3. But I had symptoms since: years prior

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Had to stop driving & dependent on husband.

5. Most people assume: I feel ok.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: Pain, stiffness

7. My favorite medical TV show is: Nonfiction medical shows

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: tub bench and detachable shower head

9. The hardest part about nights are: Getting comfortable related to pain

10. Each day I take _16_ pills & vitamins. (No comments, please)

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: Not covered by insurance

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: invisible

13. Regarding working and career: I do not enjoy being unable to work.

14. People would be surprised to know: How sad I am because of my cognitive deficits.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: Lack of emotional support by my adult children.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Still be a fun Nanni

17. The commercials about my illness: Don't depict reality fully.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: working

19. It was really hard to have to give up: career & driving

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: photography

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Play with my 8yr. old granddaughter in a way she hasn't seen me before.

22. My illness has taught me: I have much to live for.

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: "You look good"

24. But I love it when people: Make me laugh.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.-- Reinhold Niebuhr

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: You are still the same person in your soul.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: Tremendous financial burdens & stress

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: Bathe me. My husband is a blessing.

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: Dedicated to the education of others to make our lives better.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Hopeful


Find out more about National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week and the 5-day free virtual conference with 20 speakers Sept 14-18, 2009 at http://www.invisibleillness.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your comments: