Thursday, July 30, 2009

How Quickly the Table Turns


I had a flashback just a few minutes ago while I filling my weekly med planner. I fill it in front of my microwave and the counter top was a mess which prompted the flashback.

I was taken back about 12 years ago when I was still practicing as a home health nurse. I had one particular patient who I was extremely fond of. We shall call her Ethel. Ethel was morbidly obese, diabetic, history of congestive heart failure, a chain smoker and was developmentally delayed. She was a very special person. No matter what was going on with her health she was always jovial and smiling.

She didn't take much initiative to help herself and preferred others do for her. We always laughed and joked and we had a wonderful relationship. I would fill her med planner weekly during one of my visits. It never failed her counter top was a mess with coffee drippings and artificial sweetener particles scattered about. I would tease her that I thought she could at least have the counter wiped off before I came to have a clean surface to fill her medication box. After weeks of teasing I arrived one day and the counter top was spotless. She yelled from the living room "do you see anything different Kelli?" Words can not express how proud of her I was at that moment. In turn she was extremely proud of herself.

Now I find the tables turned and I have the weekly medication planner to be filled and the counter top that needs to be wiped clean. Thoughts of Ethel were bittersweet as I miss nursing so much. Yet through her I was taught the benefits of laughter, joking and even a little teasing.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kelli,
    The tables turned too quick for us all.
    Big hug.
    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herrad,
    Thanks for dropping by.
    Big hug to you,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli, I will visit these blogs, thank you for sharing.
    Most of all I want you to know the story of Ethel touched my heart.
    It saddens me that you wre forced out of nursing wich you loved so much. I am glad you got to take the memories with you my friend~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conni,
    I hope you do visit the blogs. They are all very special women.
    Don't be sad for me about leaving nursing. I have accepted that reality. I am blessed by the memories of which there are many.
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugs* I'm sorry that things have changed so much for you. I don't think it's every anything that you quite get used to. I am so glad to have met you though, and glad that you can see the bright side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting Elizabeth. I am happy to have met you too. I try to see the bright side.
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments: