Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Access Denied

I must give credit to Herrad at
http://accessdenied-livingwithms.blogspot.com/ for me even seeing this as an issue that is worthy of being dealt with. My husband was kind enough to take me to our local chain pharmacy to get prints from my digital camera. I had several photos to print so I knew it was going to take awhile. My hubby & I have only done this once before, the blind leading the blind you could say. The plan was for me to do the photos while he went to do the grocery shopping elsewhere. "Not so fast honey". I do have significant cognitive problems so I was prepared for this to be a challenge on my own but what I wasn't prepared for was my inability to hold my arms up to the level of the Kiosk(I think that is what you call the darn thing) to touch all the necessary buttons. There was no way I could do this on my own. Amazing the things we used to be capable of doing independantly that have become joint projects.

Problems I see with this technological progression in the use of camera's:
  1. Kiosk(machine) usually put in crowded area of store

  2. Some have tall chairs to sit in to perform task at hand but what if one can not get into chair or is in wheelchair therefore preventing one from using the machine at all. Most places have no chairs requiring standing for entire task which is impossible for some such as myself

  3. Machine is too tall for anyone in a wheelchair. Definately not wheelchair assessible

  4. Did I see any employees hopping stumps to assist me(us)? No

I see the need for advocacy and action here. I need to take some action and be more of an advocate for myself and others instead of just writing my concerns/complaints in a blog.



Thanks Herrad!







3 comments:

  1. Hey Kelli!

    Wow... this is one I've never encountered before... I usually "process" my own digital photos... but it's something you'd think somebody who makes these do-it-yourself processors would have thought of. Duh.

    As for advocacy, go for it! I'd start by speaking with the manager of every store that has one of these machines, and then demonstrating for them exactly what the problems are. words are great, but don't shy away from playing the "gimp card" -- in my experience, nothing gets attention and validation like a good old fashioned show and tell.

    Next I'd find out who builds these machines, and start writing letters. Be polite, but firm. Explain exactly the problems you're facing, and why using their product is impossible for you. Trust me when I say that customers = money for them, and your letter will be read. Organize your friends locally, and have them write letters too. You may even want to contact your state representative and ask about possible legislation to include such things under the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

    Just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Go get 'em Kelli! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you notice that a particular chain of drug stores has this particular brand of photo print kiosks (e.g., CVS, Walgreens), you can visit their website to register a complaint. Then, you can post the website URL on your blog with the suggestion that all your blog visitors register a similar complaint on the site, as well.
    You might also want to find a disability advocacy group to be your champion as well.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lawrence & Julie,
    Thank you so much for your great ideas, thoughts and guidance. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments: